Home | deutsch  | Legals | Data Protection | Sitemap | KIT

saai | Südwestdeutsches Archiv für Architektur und Ingenieurbau

76131 Karlsruhe / Germany
Kaiserstraße 8
Tel.: +49 721 608-44376
Fax: +49 721 608-46152
E-Mail: mail∂saai kit edu

How to find us
Map

With public transportation or by car from direction Stuttgart, Frankfurt/Basel or Ludwigshafen. Description

Building

Since its foundation in 1989, saai is housed in the former Zeughaus (Armoury), situated in the eastern section of the Kaiserstraße, in Karlsruhe.
Photo des Zeughauses, seit 1989 Standort des saai, um 1910
General view oft the Zeughaus, photograph taken around 1910
Aufriss des Rüdenmeisterhauses der Zeughausgruppe, 1777
Wilhelm Jeremias Müller, Project for the façade of the Rüdenmeisterhaus, 1777
Grundrisszeichnung des Hofgärtnerhauses der zeughausgruppe, 1777
Wilhelm Jeremias Müller, Ground plan of the Hofgärtnerhaus, 1777

This group of buildings, built on the orders of the margrave Karl Friedrich in 1777-79, served as a hunting magazine near the Durlacher Tor, on Lange Straße (today, Kaiserstraße). The architectural ensemble was designed by Wilhelm Jeremias Müller (1725-1801).

The lateral pavilions housing the saai's collections flank the main pavilion of the former armoury, which became after World War II the home of the Institute of traffic, road and railway construction. The site recalls the layout of a château with its corps de logis and two flanking pairs of lodges creating a cour d'honneur that closes towards the Kaiserstraße with a grille and an decorative gateway.